Residential Waste Collection Services
New Yard Waste & Bulky Waste Pickup Day for Select Neighborhoods in the City of Apopka
Due to growth, some homes will move to a new Wednesday yard waste and bulky waste pickup route. This will allow us to balance the work week and more consistently stay on schedule while utilizing the trucks that are currently idle on Wednesday. Garbage and recycling pickups will not be affected.
This is only for City of Apopka residents. If you have a cart with a green lid you are not in the City limits and will not be affected.
Beginning the week of February 28, 2022, the yard waste and bulky waste in the following neighborhoods will now be collected on Wednesdays.
- Arbor Ridge
- Pines of Wekiva
- Spring Harbor
- Wekiva Crest
- Winged Foot Estates
- Rock Springs Estates
- San Sebastian
- Any homes that are picked up on Lester Road or Vick Road.
For questions, please contact Public Services 407-703-1731.
- There will be NO residential or commercial collections for garbage, recycling, yard waste, or bulky services that fall on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- Collections that fall on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day will be made on the next regularly scheduled collection day.
- Collection services will run on all other holidays.
Pick Up Schedule
- All City residents must establish an account with Utility Billing before garbage collection services can begin. Please call Utility Billing at 407-703-1727 to open an account.
- Additional carts are available for an additional fee (please contact the City of Apopka Public Services for information at 407-703-1731); however, residences are limited to no more than 2 trash carts and 2 recycling carts per household.
- As collection services begin at 7 AM, we recommend that you place all trash on your curb the night before collection. If you are located near a wooded area, it is recommended that you wait until the morning of collection to place your carts by the curb due to black bear activity. Please visit our Black Bears page for more information.
- If your curbside is at the front of your property, your collection will take place there. If you have an alley, please contact the city of Apopka at 407-703-1731 to confirm collection location.
- Your residential household trash (black cart) is collected twice per week. Please place your cart on the curb with the wheels facing your home. In order for our drivers to ensure complete pickup of items, please place your cart 3 feet away from the curb and refrain from placing your cart within 5 feet of other objects such as mailboxes, fire hydrants, etc.
- Only trash or recyclable items placed inside the cart will be picked up. Do not place items on top of the lid or at the sides of the cart.
Recycling (Every other Wednesday)
- Household recycling (gray cart) is collected every other Wednesday and is determined by your garbage collection day. Refer to the recycling schedule for dates.
- Refer to the Recycling Items Do's and Don'ts page to see a list of acceptable and non-acceptable materials. Putting other material or trash in your recycling could cause the whole load to be rejected by the recycling processor.
- To request a current recycling schedule/calendar magnet, please call 407-703-1731.
- If you need more room for recycling, refer to the "R" program page to see your options.
Yard Waste and Bulking Items (Once a Week)
- Yard waste and bulky solid waste are picked up once a week.
- Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, branches and twigs. Large branches must not exceed four (4) feet in length, four (4) inches in diameter and 30 pounds in weight and must also be bundled and tied. Yard waste does not include landscape ties, fences or landscape pressure treated wood.
- A maximum of four (4) cubic yards per week, prepared as described above, will be collected at no charge. Four (4) cubic yards equals a stack 4 feet high, 4 feet wide and 7 feet long or approximately 30 bags.
- Yard waste & bulky items that either exceeds four (4) cubic yards per week, that is not bagged, bundled or containerized, is longer than four (4) feet or weighs more than 30 pounds each is considered a special pick up and will incur an extra charge of $10 per cubic yard. Any special pick up will incur a minimum $10 charge. Bulky and large yard waste special pickups are collected by mechanical lifts so please do not put yard waste or bulky items on or near water meters, transformers, utility poles or wires or mailboxes or other objects to prevent damage to these items or injury to the collection crew. Yard waste should be placed by the curb prior to 7:00 a.m. on the resident's scheduled yard waste pick up day.
- Yard waste may not be placed inside the garbage cart. If yard waste is placed in the garbage cart, the cart will not be dumped until the yard waste is removed.
- Bulky waste is considered large household items such as furniture, large toys, or remodeling debris that does not fit in your garbage cart.
- Bulky materials too large for normal collection may be picked up curbside on your regularly scheduled yard waste pick up day. It is not necessary to call to schedule a time for regular pickup.
White Goods & Electronics
- White goods and electronics are collected separately from all other waste on Wednesday. Items must be scheduled for pickup on any Wednesday, with an advanced notice of 2 business days.
- Some examples of white goods include:
- White goods capable of becoming hazardous to persons or pets should be prepared for pickup so that the hazard is removed, i.e. remove fastening devices from doors or refrigerators and other appliances.
- Some examples of electronics include:
- DVD Players
- Appliances that have contained or still contain Freon will incur a $10 charge per appliance.
- Hazardous waste is defined as any product that includes any of the following words on its label and including:
- Latex or oil based paint
- Mercury (florescent lights and thermostats)
- Here are some examples of other household hazardous products:
- Cleaning products (Cleaners and soaps)
- Fertilizers (liquid and granular)
- Herbicides (week killers and tree stump rotters)
- LP Gas Bottles
- Pesticides (Insect killers and Rodent Killers)
- Petroleum Products (Gasoline, oil, and diesel fuel)
- Pool Chemicals (Chlorine and acids)
- Rechargeable Batteries (Ni-Cad and Lithium)
- Unknown or unlabeled products
- Wet paint (Oil and water based, aerosols and stains)
Whenever you have questions about a product, you can call the Orange County Solid Waste Hotline at 407-836-6601 or visit the Orange County Household Hazardous Waste page.