Community Emergency Response Team
Apopka Fire Department Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program
This program is in cooperation with Volunteer Florida.
Please note the capacity for this class is 20 participants.
The Apopka Fire Department will be holding a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Training for our community. This Hybrid program will consist of an online lecture and an In-Person, Hands-On, Practical Training.
Please Note: In-Person, Hands-On, Practical Training will take place on April 16 and April 23, 2022 from 8 AM to 5 PM. Participants must attend both dates of training at the Gilliam Training Center (321 E. Cleveland Street, Apopka, FL 32703).
Enroll Today for the 2022 Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program
CERT Hybrid Program Information
The main goal of the Apopka Fire Department Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program is to educate community members about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. Using the training learned online, in the classroom, and during CERT exercises, members can assist their community or workplace following an emergency event when professional responders are not immediately available to help.
For whom is the training designed?
The target audience for this course are individuals who desire the skills and knowledge required to prepare for and respond to a disaster. The minimum age is 18 and there is no maximum age. Everyone participates to the extent that they can, given individual constraints.
This free hybrid training includes an online lecture portion and is to be followed up by an in-person, hands-on, practical portion.
Online CERT Training Course Time
This online class is estimated to take 12 hours.
- Access it on your mobile device or computer.
- Complete it at your pace and at your convenience.
- Course progress will be saved and can be resumed later.
- You will receive the link to the online portion of your training once you register.
- Certificate of online completion must be presented to instructor at the hands-on, practical portion of your training.
In-Person, Hands-On, Practical Training
- Date and Time: April 16 and 23, 2022 from 8 AM to 5 PM
- Location: Gilliam Training Center, 321 E Cleveland St, Apopka, FL 32703
- Must attend all days and times in order to receive final certificate of course completion
- See what the practical portion of your training will look like by downloading the CERT Skills Check List.
What You'll Learn
- Unit 1: Disaster Preparedness
- Unit 2: CERT Organization
- Unit 3-4: Disaster Medical Operations
- Unit 5: Disaster Psychology
- Unit 6: Fire Safety and Utility Controls
- Unit 7: Light Search and Rescue Operations
- Unit 8: Terrorism and Hazardous Materials Safety
- Unit 9: Course Review and Disaster Simulation
This online course is made available by Rocky Mountain Center for Occupational and Environmental Health, & Utah Division of Emergency Management.
Additional CERT Forms and Submissions Required
The following are program requirements:
- Complete the Apopka Fire online CERT Application form (Applicant Information and Waiver and Release of Liability) and submit.
- Print and fill out the Affidavit of Good Moral Character form (Available on the Florida Department of Children and Families website). Please Note: This form must be notarized. notary is available at the Apopka Fire Department Administration Office.
- Download and print
- CERT Background/Criminal History Consent Form (PDF). This background check can be done by appointment only. Contact the Apopka Police Department Records Department at 407-703-1771 for scheduling.
- Pre-Participation Physical Evaluation Form (PDF). This form must be completed by your primary care physician.
- Once the online lecture portion of the CERT Training is complete, print and return a copy of the certificate for the in-person training portion.
Printed copies are available for pickup at the Apopka Fire Department located at 175 E. 5th Street, Apopka, FL from 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday.
Please bring the additional forms with you to your In-Person, Hands-On, Practical Training, along with the certificate for the online lecture portion.